Many wedding traditions have come about over the years. Today, more than ever, brides are choosing to forego some traditions that aren’t meaningful to them. However, some brides still prefer to uphold the traditions that have been passed on for years through the generations before them. Here are a list of 10 popular traditions for brides to consider when wedding planning.
- Traditionally, the bride and her family are responsible for paying for the wedding. This includes everything from floral arrangements to the wedding dress.
- The groom’s family is responsible for paying for the rehearsal dinner.
- The wedding ceremony includes something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue.
- Bride and groom don’t see each other after the rehearsal dinner until the bride walks down the aisle.
- Tossing of the garter & bouquet at the reception.
- Dancing the first dance as bride and groom. This is followed by the bride’s dance with her father and then the groom’s dance with his mother.
- The bride tosses her bouquet to the single ladies. The woman who catches the bouquet is said to be the next lucky girl who will get married.
- The groom does a garter removal and tosses it to all the single men. The man who catches the garter can put it on the woman who caught the bouquet.
- As the bride and groom exit their wedding, guests can throw rice at them which symbolizes rain and is supposed to bring prosperity, fertility and good fortune
- The groom carries the bride over the threshold into their house
Which of these did you choose to follow and which ones did you forego?